Tuesday 8 September 2009

What's in the fridge?

Another new feature for the blog!
I've had a few questions from people asking for ideas on how to use things up. What I'm going to do is once a wkk, when i clean out my fridge and make my shopping list, I will write down everything I have and put a star next to things that need using up first.
I'll write those down here, long with what I'm going to do with them and other things that could be done with them.

Here's my "needs used" list for this week...

12 CARTONS YOGHURT - These will be fed to the kids asap. They could also be used in a smoothie or in fairy cakes.

TUB OF MASCARPONE - This will most likely end up as a pasta sauce. I have some chopped spinach in the freezer so will make a spinach and mascarpone sauce for pasta.
It could also be used to make a cream cheese frosting for cakes, a filling for tiramisu or a filling for cheesecake.

STRAWBERRIES - These are looking a bit soft so will most likely be blitzed with a frozen banana and one of those yoghurts to make a smoothie. They could also be stewed with some sugar and vanilla to make a warm fruit sauce for ice cream or even cereal.

GRAPES - These will be nommed as a snack tonight, but would also make a nice addition to a smoothie.

GINGER - This is looking a bit soft and needs to be used quickly. I love ginger in stir fries and curries. It is also great in smoothies and fresh juices. You could also freeze it, unpeeled. This makes grating easier.

CHERRY TOMATOES - These will be roasted with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and served with pasta and mozzarella cheese. They also make a lovely roast tomato and garlic soup, and are gorgeous when baked in a bag with chicken, peppers and cajun spices. The tomatoes burst and turn into a lovely sauce for the chicken.

OLD PESTO - Okay, I'll admit it. I don't actually know how old this is. It's less than 4 weeks old, cos that's when i last cleaned the fridge, but it's old enough that I can't remember exactly when I opened it. It still smells fine, and I've just had it with pasta for lunch. As I'm still typing and not passed out on the floor, I'm assuming it was still good! Ah, I live on the edge, me!

LOTS OF ONIONS - I don't really need to use these quickly, as onions last ages, but I have a huge bag of them, so had better start making a dent! I will use quite a lot of these to make onion soup. I will also chop and freeze quite a few for instant chopped onions in cooking.

1 comment:

  1. Im a new follower and I love your blog, you have so many great tips! I freeze all my chillies as they last for ages and are easier to chop that way, it also helps to reduce the transfer to your fingers so it doesnt hurt so much when you rub your eyes!Where can I buy roasting bags from?xxx

    ReplyDelete