Sunday 16 August 2009

Use it or lose it

Well, I started my new savings plan a few weeks back, putting £21 a week into a savings account. That's easy, I don't even notice it! Because I do it all online, I'm really just moving numbers from one part of the screen to the other.
Time for a bigger challenge! One of our biggest money leaks is buying food. We live very close to a large supermarket, and it's too easy to just pop in for one or two things, which, as we all know, somehow ends up being £20 or more.
I have made sure that my cupboards and freezer are well stocked (hell, they're always well stocked!), and have set myself a budget of £50 a week. I will take the cash out on a thursday and only spend it on absolute essentials, or total bargains.
I think a big deal breaker here is food wastage. If I can make sure that I use absolutely every morsel of food I buy, and throw nothing good away, it should help to keep me from buying new food needlessly.
With that in mind, I have been very frugal this weekend!
On thursday, I made pasta with roasted cherry tomatoes and mozzarella, very yummy.
On friday, I unearthed a bag of sprouting potatoes, over a week past their sell by date. did I throw them out? NOOOOOOO!
I trimmed off all the sprouty bits, cut the tatties into wedges and roasted them in the oven. They were delicious! Pah! Sell by dates? I laugh in your general direction!
I also used up the end of some old cheddar in the fridge by making a pot of macaroni cheese, it never goes wrong, does it?
On saturday we were at a BBQ, so i didn't need to use our food, but we did have a pineapple that needed using ASAP, so when we got home, I pan fried pineapple slices and made a lovely syrup of sugar, butter and Malibu. It was great!
Today, I needed to use the last of the soft fruit that was looking a bit wrinkly, so breakfast was blueberry pancakes. I also made smoothies with blueberries and strawberries and froze the leftovers into ice lollies, which the kids had for pudding this evening.
A lot of the veg in the fridge went into a stir fry at teatime, which was lovely. We still have a lot of carrots and onions, and some broccoli to use, so I reckon tomorrow's lunch could be soup of some description.
Oh, and we have some leftover stir fry in the fridge. Normally I'd just chuck it, but not now! I might have to spend a pound or so on some filo pastry, to wrap the leftovers into spring rolls for dinner tomorrow.
Don't worry, I'll find a use for the leftover filo pastry...

No comments:

Post a Comment